Sunday, July 19, 2009

Confessions of a Foodaholic

So, I'm at this point where I'm feeling lose lose when it comes to weight loss. 
I'm turning into the excuses QUEEN with EVERYTHING these days and I don't know why.
I know how to lose weight. I understand that you must burn more calories than you consume for a LOOOOONG period of time. I know that the food pyramid is an important daily guide. I know that exercise is the best thing for our bodies and will lead to a longer more energetic and fulfilling life. I know that we need to drink water all day long. I KNOW this stuff. Then... why is it so hard?

When I was reading the book Confessions of a Shopaholic, (which by the way is almost nothing like the movie. The names are the same and that's about it, oh and the fact that she likes to shop, but anyways) I felt like the things that she was thinking about her addiction were so similar to my own thoughts with my own "addiction" to food. I need to ...

Eat less

or

Move more

(or both if I am feeling really ambitious... which I'm not) 

But I can think of a million excuses for not doing either. I mean, a girls got to eat, right? Urg! Does anyone else feel really pissy when they don't get to eat what they want or how much they want? Now I sound like a heffer. I think the problem is that for my whole life I have always eaten for every meal and snack what I feel like tasting and not what my body is needing. Wow and I just realized that growing up I usually got what I wanted, I'm so spoiled! And I have the WORST sweet tooth EVER!!! BAAAA! I don't know how to change my habits. Actually... I just thought of something that I'm gonna try... I just got inspired while writing this. We all know that thoughts become things (or at lease we should). Thoughts become actions, actions become habits, and habits become tradition and traditions are very hard to break. A friend of mine told me that a long time ago for something completely different, but it could would here, right? 

Now for the move more
So now that I'm a mom, and my son is SOOO attached to me I can hardly go to the bathroom or do house work cause he wants me holding him or by him or in his close site all day long, a gym membership doesn't seem like it would be money well spent. I know they have day care for free, but Jacob would cry the whole time cause he doesn't like strangers or being away from me AND I don't like the thought of some stranger with my baby... so that's not going to work. I know I need to put Jacob in a stroller and walk around the neighborhood, but it's been so hot lately. Urg, here I go again with the excuses. Here it is, who honestly likes and wants to work out? I don't! I have never gotten to that point where I feel good during a work out (or afterwords)  and feel physically lacking when I don't workout and/or that I need to workout to feel complete for the day. If you have, please let me know cause I don't think it exists. And if it does, please tell me how long does it take? A month, 90 days, 6 months??? I don't know.

So that's where I'm at with all that. I could use some inspiration and motivation. And that's another thing, how do you keep your self motivated? I know that to be healthy, you need to make it a life style. I know the words, but don't know how to actually do it for myself. I hope you reading this understand my sense of humor and don't think that I'm all depressed or anything. I'm down about it, but I still have my sense of humor and I hope it comes out in my writing. =)

4 comments:

Sara said...

One of my brothers once told me that the soul purpose of him working out is so he can eat what he wants to. I like that and it's stuck with me. I still eat what I want if I don't work out, but just not as much.

The same excuses go through my head about working out, too. (too hot out... too cold out...) If I didn't like basketball, I'd be really screwed. Maybe we should become mall walkers. They have AC! Or, you could run laps in your big living room with AC! :)

Megan said...

Hey there, I went through the same thing last summer with Lily...But start with small goals...just a 15 minute walk early in the morning or late at night when it cools down, or go walk around the mall. I used walking as a motivation to get tan by being outside. Think about what you are teaching Jacob and setting a good example for him. Once you get started and see a couple pounds progress of fitting into prepregnant pants, the motivation will kick in.

There is a mommy work out group called stroller strides and you work out with your baby in a stroller doing cardio and some strength training. just google it and they meet a couple times a week and it is pretty reasonable. You'll get there. Lets go for a walk sometime. I thought about the gym, but with a little one was not feasable...so I just invested in a good jogger and just DO IT!

miriam said...

I would say the best thing for exercise is to get a buddy to go with you. You'll be more likely to go. And try for morning or evening when you won't sweat to death, or someplace like the soos creek trail where it's nice and shady! Or, if you're feeling some extra money in your pocket, I would recommend getting a gps watch. We have a garmin forerunner 305 and I run so much more because we have it. It tells you exactly how far you've gone and how fast, and lots of other things. The problem is it's pricey. I also can't run unless I have my ipod with upbeat songs...
As far as food goes, for me, what I try (because I suck at not eating what I want) is looking for little healthy substitutes.
Good luck with it all!!!

Crystal said...

I got a cyst on my ovary a couple years ago now, wow its been 3 years time flies. I had to take some steriods for it to go away, which worked immediately, but then I had some horrible side effects. I gained 70 pounds in less than 3 months, my metabolism completely shut off. Ive tried all kinds of diets and work out plans since then, and the most Ive lost was like 10 pounds. While working extremely hard with very little pay off, Id just give up. You've know me my whole life, I was always more petite, not so much anymore. Well just recently I got an ulcer from taking ibprophen and its changed everything about my life. I cant eat hardly anything. Nothing spicy, hot (temperature wise), greasy, acidic, fatty or caffienated. Which kind of sucks, but doesnt leave much else for me to leave, so I decided that I should make every calorie I do get to take in count. So Ive been eating tons of fruit and veggies. And I've lost 18 pounds. Now I dont recommend getting an ulcer, but if you can make choices slowly everyday like getting a couple more fruits and veggies in your diet than normal, it will help. Also drink lots of water. Ive started working out again also, but Im not going to lie, Im out of shape and cant go a full 30 minutes yet. Which can be kind of discouraging as well, but I figure its better than not doing anything at all. Ive got a long ways to go, until Im where I want to be, bodywise. But if you need any help, let me know! You can totally do this, you are a strong, beautiful, capable momma and woman!