Sunday, June 6, 2010

Garden, hits and misses

Here's the progress of my plants

Hits:
Sugar snap peas
Dill (thriving!)
Lettuce
Raspberries
Cabbage

Misses:
Tomatoes BIG TIME (don't know where I went wrong)
Basil (sprouted, then they all disappeared,
it's the weirdest thing)

Still not sure:
Pumpkins (hasn't sprouted yet)
Zucchini (same)
Strawberries (we have ONE berry)
Chives (they looked like they might die,
and are now looking a little better, I guess
we will have to wait and see)

Any advice?


Jacob dancing around! He LOVES to be outside! =)










5 comments:

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Don't give the pumpkins time. I believe I planted mine late last year due to pregnancy and they still pulled through. They are very tough plants, and once they start growing, they don't stop! (Sorry about the last comment, I had to retype it!)

The Owens said...

Melissa-
I was just going to write you and ask you how long it took for your pumpkins to sprout. It's about all I can do NOT to dig up the seeds and see if there is any change. But I will be good and just wait and see =) What does well in your garden?

Brittany said...

Brandon's parents have an amazing garden every year but this year it's not lookin so good. I think there were too many freezes.
PS my pumpkins are barely sprouting after a month. No worries but you can still plant a few things. check the days on your pumpkin seeds and if it'll be done before the first frost you can replant.

Melissa said...

If you are getting antsy about the pumpkins, I would suggest growing a few indoors at first. That way they sprout within a week or two and then you can transplant them outside. I've done that and it has worked really well. So far I've only done pumpkins and green beans because they can survive without a lot maintenance. We have horrible soil, so we have to do an above garden. Hopefully next year I will expand my garden, I just don't have a enough time this year.